Summary | Windows 7 Internet Security Virus removal guide
The Windows 7 Internet security virus is known as fake security software. The malware is known to pose as legitimate anti-malware, anti-spyware, or anti-virus software and it will constantly give fake error message, warnings, and virus scans indicating the victim's computer is infected with viruses, malware, and spyware. These warning are completely false and are there to intentionally mislead the user using the computer into purchasing a "full version" of the fake software to remove the list of fictional virus and malware infections.
Most people are infected as a part of an accidental email download, intentional download of a disguised program, or by visiting a website that hacked the host computer through security holes found by what is known as a exploit kit. It is built to find security holes and install itself without a user ever knowing. It will then gain administrative access to the computer system with the intent of disabling various applications and software installed on the computer.
Once it has control of the user's computer, it will endless nag with fake notifications, with the intent of getting deceived people to buy another fake program that can and usually harms the computer even more. After prolonged exposure one can expect their computer to compromised with countless spyware, malware, and viruses. This is a very high security risk as these other computer infections can lead to identity theft and massive data loss.
Safe mode is an administrative troubleshooting system built into all Windows operating system versions and only the essential Drivers, files, and programs will run. Windows 7 will automatically stop any other programs from running. Safe mode is the best way to remove computer viruses. You will also have a better chance at backing up files, installing and updating pc virus & malware cleaners, and manually removing the infection, if necessary.
The first and easiest way is:
- Remove the following: CDs, DVDs, external drives, and flash drives.
- Shut down your computer by clicking the start button in the bottom left of your screen, then click the arrow to the right of the Shut Down button, and finally click on the restart option.
- Press and hold the F8 key while your computer is restarting this will load the advanced boot screen.
- Using the arrow keys appearing on the right hand side of your keyboard press the down arrow key until "Safe mode with networking" is highlighted, then press the enter key.
- Once the user Windows 7 login screen has loaded, choose either the administrator account or an account with admin access.
While you are logging in you will be prompted by a small window that explains you are entering safe mode, click yes to continue. Once logged into safe mode the desktop will look much different, and icons and menus will appear larger than normal. You will also see the words "safe mode" in the corners of your screen.
If you cannot access safe mode this way, you can also set Windows 7 to automatically load safe mode through the system configuration utility.
- This is a very sensitive system and can crash your computer system if used incorrectly.
- If your computer has been damaged by the infection then you may not be able to access the system configuration utility.
- Click on the Windows 7 Start Menu.
- Search for "msconfig".
- Press the enter key or click on the "msconfig" program in the search list to load the Windows 7 system configuration utility.
- Click on the second tab labeled "Boot" (this appears along the top left of the Windows 7 system configuration utility).
- Select the radio button labeled "Safe Mode" (this appears toward the bottom left of the screen).
- Select the check box labeled "Networking".
- Click the okay button toward the bottom middle of the Windows 7 system configuration utility.
- Click restart now on the following prompt window that indicates that to apply changes your system must restart.
Back Up Files
The Internet Security Virus itself generally does not try to damage data while it is undetected and the myriad of other malware, viruses, and infections that could be install on your computer are more likely to damage data over time. Destroying data is not a priority for most malware, but stealing it usually is. When you start to remove computer viruses and malware, data corruption becomes a real threat and sometimes computer malware will attempt to destroy everything it can before it is removed.
Most of the time you can remove the pc infection without any type of data loss, but many people that do lose their valuable data. We encourage everyone to backup before attempting removal. In this step we briefly talk about three of the easier ways to back up all of your data; burning to discs, external flash drives and Hard Drives, and online storage services.
Files and data are sensitive. If you are not experienced with moving and backing up data it may be best to have a friend or family member whom is help you with this process.
This is by far the fastest and easiest way to backup files on your computer. Flash drives and external hard drives are relatively inexpensive, very portable, and easy to use.
- Connect your flash drive or External HDD or nsert an empty burnable disc into your disc drive a auto detect window should appear asking what you would like to do with this Disc, choose the option to "burn files to disc".
- A moment later an auto detect window will appear asking you what you would like to do with this drive or disk. Select the last option "open to view files" or burn to disc and press OK at the bottom of the window. This will open a window that you can drag or paste files into.
- Click on the "start menu" and click on "my computer".
- Double click on your main drive. This is generally labeled "C Drive".
- Determine what files you would like to copy. Most people keep their personal files in my documents. You can find the "my documents" folder by double clicking on "documents and settings", and then clicking on either administrator or your username file.
- Once you have determine what files you want to backup right click on the first folder and click "copy".
- Navigate back to the backup file window; right click on an empty white area and click "paste".
- Repeat the process for all of your files.
You can alternatively drag from a file window and drop into the drive Window.
Backing up with online storage
Online storage has become the safest way to store data securely today. There are many services on the internet that specialize in online storage and remote backup. This is a great option for short term backup and long term data protection. With multiple redundancies it is almost impossible to permanently lose data. Find out more about the best online data storage.
Some data like various programs and software cannot be completely backed up and upon a system crash you may need to reinstall some or all software from scratch. Many software and productivity programs allow for back-ups and restore points to be made through their own administrative tools, to be restored at a later date.
You may also want to list all of the software, browser additions, and preferred settings on your computer for possible reinstall and reconfiguration later if necessary.
Free Internet Security Virus Cleaners
Virus Cleaners are a bit different than anti-virus and anti-malware programs. Cleaners generally do not actively protect your computer system from threats, but they specialize only in removing viruses, malware, and other infections. There are several ways it professionals will approach removing a virus and most prefer to use virus cleaning tools like the ones we explain below, but others may prefer the manual removal of the malware files and registry entries (provided in the next step).
Editing the registry can be extremely dangerous and has the potential to complete crash the Windows 7 operating system.
In rare occasions some viruses and infections can only be removed by editing the Windows 7 registry.
We are using the free versions of all of these virus cleaners and provide both links for information about the products themselves and direct download links for the software for easier downloads. Once the virus cleaners have been installed preferably through safe mode, we will attempt the actual Internet Security Virus removal (the next step after installation). To install each open the downloaded files (this is generally found in my documents -> downloads) and follow the steps on screen to install. Be sure to uncheck the option to run these programs after the install.
Official site- http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Direct download link - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
At this point, hopefully, you have successfully accessed safe mode, backed up your computer files, and installed MalwareBytes, Hitman Pro, and ComboFix, it is time to remove the Internet Security Virus. To do so we suggest running several different cleaners several times. Each malware cleaner can take several hours to run each time. This process can take anywhere from 3 hours to well over a day.
- Run MalwareBytes
- Run Hitman Pro
- Run ComboFix.
If you have successfully ran several cleaners, hopefully reinstalled and updated them after the first run, and the scanners have come back to say that there are no infections on your computer you should be virus free! Congratulations are in order, you've earned yourself a break!
Manually Remove The Internet Security Virus
Manual Internet Security Virus removal is considered by some the best way to remove computer viruses. This step requires two actions; the first is editing the operating system registry and the second is manually deleting the malware files from your computer. Editing the system registry is an advanced to expert level skill and it can be both a great way to clean up your system fast and it can also be a great way to complete crash the operating system fast. The registry manages settings for virtually everything on your machine, and some of those settings, if changed incorrectly and or removed all together can render your computer a powered but utterly useless desk accessory.
Windows also stores the actual application files throughout the hard drive of your computer. A virus acts much like a normal application, but instead of it helping you do your taxes, it would be stealing the information you use to file your taxes. The key to successful malware removal is to delete the Internet Security Virus files from your system along with registry entries.
Before editing the Windows 7 registry:
- Create system restore point by:
You could edit the registry and remove the virus files without taking these precautions, but considering that this is potentially dangerous and harmful to your computer system, it would be wise to take a few minutes to create a restore point and backup files. Else you lose all of your data and have to completely reinstall the operating system. Safe mode is also the best place to perform this type of work as any viruses will be hopefully disabled by going into safe mode. You can perform this through normal Windows but you would want to disable suspicious programs from starting through the "system configuration utility" startup and services tab.
- Access the registry editor
- Click on the "start" menu.
- In the search box search for "regedit"
- Press enter or click in the "regedit" icon at the top of the search results.
- Locate and delete these entries
- Restart computer back into safe mode.
HKCUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun “Internet Security 2012?
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMICROSOFTWINDOWSCURRENTVERSIONRUN | Internet Security 2012
Internet Security Virus files
- Access infected hard drive files in file explorer.
- Click on "start" menu
- Click on "computer".
- Double click on infected hard drive.
- Locate and delete files. You can do this two different ways.
- Use search utility in the top right of the screen.
- Manual browse files.
- Restart computer back into safe mode.
%UserProfile%Start MenuInternet Security 2012.lnk
We also suggest running several virus cleaners after successfully removing files and registry entries. Malware is elusive and dangerous to both your computer system and personal information. We feel it is best to run a few scans to hopefully catch any remnants of the infection or other malware on the computer.
If you are having any trouble with either removing registry entries for Internet Security Virus or removing its files, please try these alternative suggestions below.
If you have successfully removed the registry items, deleted the Internet Security Virus files, and ran a couple of virus cleaners (just to be safe) then you should be completely virus free, congratulations!".